Hex Castle / Chateau de Hex
Photo courtesy of Roger Willeghems
Limited public access rose garden Listing last updated on 17 Oct 2017.
Open to public on the second weekend in June.
This garden received the World Federation of Roses Garden Award in 1997. [There is an article, by Helga Brichet, President of the World Federation of Rose Societies, in the 1997 American Rose Annual, pp. 10-11, about this garden. Some excerpts:] About 1770, Count Charles de Velbruck, Prince Bishop of Liege, bought 150 acres... where he wished to build a summer residence and hunting lodge... Since 1970... Countess Michel d'Ursel... has inspired the renewal of the garden and particularly of the collection of roses, which she often enriched with treasured cuttings bought from afar. At the same time she opened her garden to the public and was delighted by the overwhelming response to her invitation to share her joy of nature.
Many rosarians were able to meet this reserved lady in Italy . . . at the World Federation of Rose Societies Regional Conference. Upon her return home she fell ill and died in April 1997. Her children are determined to preserve and amplify this wonderful heritage.