Saumarez Homestead Gardens
We do not have ANY photos of this Garden!
If you have an appropriate photo, please share it with HelpMeFind - see the UPLOAD PHOTO button on the Photos tab.
Please do not upload someone else's photos without their permission. Thanks!
Listing last updated on 22 Dec 2016.
Armidale, New South Wales
… internet contact information
This description courtesy of the National Trust website.
The Many Gardens of Saumarez Homestead.
The 2ha (4.4 acre) gardens at Saumarez Homestead, Armidale, were planned and constructed by the Saumarez Whites at the turn of the 19th century to complement and provide a setting for their significant Late Victorian-Edwardian house. They were planned on the model of an English prototype, but included plantings of trees, shrubs and exotics from the Americas, Africa, Europe, Asia, New Zealand and Scandinavia. Mary’s Garden was inspired by Jocelyn Brown.
The Heritage Rose Garden Saumarez Homestead has been established on the site of the old homestead orchard with the nucleus of the rose collection donated by Miss Catherine MacLean, a long time Armidale resident and dedicated rosarian. The main collection, when completed, will include over 600 roses representing each of the major rose cultivar groups, mostly bred before 1930. Adjacent to the formal garden will be beds recognising the contribution of important rose breeders both nationally and internationally.
This ten-hectare grazing property was first inhabited by British settlers led by Henry Dumaresq in the 1830’s. Today it includes an elegant, extensive, fully furnished Edwardian homestead, built between 1888 and 1906, and 15 farm and other buildings dating up to 1910, with their collections of early farm equipment.
Take a guided tour through the White family’s 30 room Edwardian mansion complete with original furnishings. Stroll through Mary White’s garden, with its Jocelyn Brown-style cottage garden, the picking garden, the heritage rose garden and the lawns. Visit outbuildings complete with 19th century tools and equipment. Allow at least half a day to see this extensive property, and experience 19th century pastoral life.
The property takes its name from the Dumaresq’s Estate in Jersey in the Channel Islands . For five years after settlement, Saumarez with its well supplied store, tools, clothing and basic food was the last stopping point for settlers moving north ‘beyond the boundaries’. After Dumaresq’s death the property was sold to H A Thomas, whose family lived in the original slab homestead overlooking Saumarez Creek. The White family purchased Saumarez in 1874 and worked the property until they gave the 10 hectares that included the historic precincts to the National Trust in 1984. The rest of Saumarez was split up and sold off by 2004.