HelpMeFind Roses, Clematis and Peonies
Roses, Clematis and Peonies
and everything gardening related.
Search PostsPosts By CategoryRecent Posts 
Questions, Answers and Comments by Category
Discussion id : 127-403
most recent 6 MAY HIDE POSTS
 
Initial post 6 MAY by foxgloved
Hi all,
I recently cut back a couple of climbers (white mama cochet, not sure of the rest) and buried the branches at the bottom of a hugelkultur bed to fill space. A few months later I'm finding many healthy rose shoots coming out of the soil! I'm wondering if anyone has propagation techniques that involve completely burying a cutting? The closest thing I can find is the "layering" technique of stripping part of an intact branch and burying the end. It surprised me to see so many shoots as most of my (intentional) attempts previously have failed using the technique of burying one node of a semi hardwood cutting below soil and keeping the top leaf node damp. Perhaps burying the entire cutting helps maintain even moisture?
Thanks for any insight.
REPLY
Reply #1 of 1 posted 6 MAY by Patricia Routley
I had to look up a hugelkultur bed and found it most interesting - I gather it is basically a compost heap using lots of rotted wood. So I wonder if it was the extremely fertile hugelkultur bed you buried them in, and not the technique of burying the cutting that gave you success. Were your previous attempts putting the cuttings in a hugelkultur bed, or other soil? I would think that you may have needed more than one node below and one above.

Does wood have the magic touch, or was it the acidity?
I recall an article by Ralph Morris in the Australian Rose Annual 1997, p103 wherein he related the success at last “one factor which years ago boosted the strike rate of Fortuniana cuttings was the use of fresh Jarrah (eucalyptus marginata) sawdust as a striking medium. The sawdust has a pH of 4.5 to 5.0).”
REPLY
Discussion id : 123-270
most recent 22 SEP 20 HIDE POSTS
 
Initial post 21 SEP 20 by Nadene
Hi everyone,

I am from Australia and researching information to use on rose plaques. In particular the David Austin roses.
I am rather hoping someone could help me with some questions.

I have noticed on different websites (including David Austin website) and official rose registries that the second name is written differently. For example, ‘Benjamin Britten’ is typed as (AUSencart) and (Ausencart) and occasionally (Austin Wonder in the case of the Ambridge Rose).

What is considered as the official way to type it?
Is there a significance to it being typed in multiple forms?

I have also noticed different websites and registries using different year dates. I am aware that his roses were registered in other countries in different years, however different sources have different year dates even within the same country.

Is anyone able to help me with any info or guidance on this matter?

Much appreciated :)
REPLY
Reply #1 of 3 posted 21 SEP 20 by Patricia Routley
Hello Nadine,
It is a long time since we corresponded and I gather you are looking at the roses of the Parliament House Rose Gardens.

Breeders used to give their roses code names. This code name stayed with the rose for its lifetime and despite different countries renaming the rose with umpteen different names, the breeder, and gardeners, could always tell which rose it was, no matter how many different names it was sailing under around the world.
For many years the standard was that the first three letters of a rose’s code name (or appellation) were capitalised (AUSencart) and this signified clearly that it was a code name. A good example is Kordes KORgeowim rose which is sold under four different names around the world. Whilst you will find various examples of non-capitalisation in the code names. HelpMeFind prefers to use the old CAPitalisation form. It is clear.
‘Austin Wonder’ is a synonym of the originally-named ‘Ambridge Rose” and is sold in New Zealand as ‘Austin Wonder’.

The dates - we have the date the rose was pollinated, the date the seedling was selected by the breeder as being worthwhile, the date he gave it to a nursery to propagate, and the date, usually years later when the nursery introduced/sold it. Often it was registered long after.
I prefer to use the breeder’s bred date - it can make the search for parentage a lot simpler.

I note the spellings in the Parliament House rose gardens rose listings have needed a bit of refinement. Listing the roses with HelpMeFind will correct this.
Patricia
REPLY
Reply #2 of 3 posted 22 SEP 20 by Nadene
Hi Patricia,

Great to hear from you. Thanks so much for responding to my post. What you have posted is of great help. You are correct that I am working on the signs in the Old Parliament House Rose Gardens. Over the years I too have noticed some discrepancies in the signs.

Are there any other outstanding issues you would like to highlight. If so, I am more than happy to be contacted. With out posting personal details, I can be contacted through NCA.

Thanks so much again for your info.

Nadene
REPLY
Reply #3 of 3 posted 22 SEP 20 by Patricia Routley
I will continue this thread in the page for Old Parliament House Gardens.
REPLY
Discussion id : 119-246
most recent 28 NOV 19 HIDE POSTS
 
Initial post 28 NOV 19 by HMF Admin
Wishing a happy Thanksgiving day to all our U.S. based visitors !
REPLY
Discussion id : 115-205
most recent 3 FEB 19 HIDE POSTS
 
Initial post 3 FEB 19 by Ozoldroser
Colour Break
Floribunda Russel 'McGredy S.' 1983
taken from Ruston Roses Rose Collection 2003-2004 pge39
REPLY
Reply #1 of 1 posted 3 FEB 19 by Patricia Routley
We have it. Ask for MACultra
REPLY
© 2021 HelpMeFind.com