Give me caffeine
List customization using the above LIST OPTIONS feature is an advanced feature available to premium-membership members and sponsor listings.
This rose seems to strike surprisingly easily if you get a good example. I put three cuttings in a resealable bag on January 28, 2021. By February 26 all three were starting to show roots at the bottom of the bag. The cuttings were taken from an old plant, which presumably was budded before the cultivar was weakened by excessive propagation (if that legend about weakening is actually true in Australia).
The heritage roses article on propagation* says 'As a rough guide: for rambler roses, you can start looking for roots at 3- 4 weeks; for Tea roses from about 6 weeks. HTs, especially the yellows, are much slower and have a lower success rate.' Yet here is an HT, with a fair amount of yellow/foetida in it, striking with 100% success rate in 4 weeks. You can be lucky.
March 4, 2021:
One ''Anna Plueckhahn'' has struck, one has died, and one is still ok. These are 32 days since bagging to first visible root tips.
A second ''Carlsruhe'' has struck, with the third still looking ok. One each of ''Octavus Weld'' and ''Yallum Park Cream'' have struck, with the other two of each still ok. These are 21 days since bagging to first visible root tips.
One cutting of ''Heysen's Semi-single'' has succumbed to collar rot. Upon pulling the cutting, it was seen that the buried section had just begun to form root nodules after 21 days since bagging. This was a pretty thin and green cutting. It may do better with semi-hardwood and a bit more thickness. Seems like a slow striker. The other two HS-s still look ok.
Since Mme Jules Thibaud struck so easily, am thinking of trying Perle d'Or (the parent) and Ravensworth (another sport).
Note: The Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society site has an article* which claims significantly better strike rate if using a rooting gel with a higher concentration of indole butyric acid (0.8% instead of the more common 0.3%).
The Australian equivalent, Yates Clonex, comes in the usual purple @ 0.3%, and in a red version @ 0.8%. Both versions are exactly the same price, and both are available at Bunnings as well as other retailers. This being the case, it would seem that using the Clonex Purple for rooting rose cuttings is not the best option, and it would make more sense to use the stronger and more effective Clonex Red for the same price.
March 2, 2021: Six cuttings are in resealable bags at the moment, bagged on February 13. One was looking a bit iffy, the other five looking good. Having seen other cuttings rapidly go black and grotty after looking a bit iffy, I decided to pull out the "weak" one.
Turns out it has callused really well and had started putting out roots about 8mm long. Oops. The roots looked fine, so I made a hole and put it back in the mix as carefully as possible, then gave it a bit of water. Hopefully it will be ok.
Anyway, this rose will apparently strike in about two weeks.
Seems to strike easily. One cutting has visible roots appearing in the bottom of the bag after 17 days.